1 frying chicken (3 to 3½ lbs.) cut up
1½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup butter or margarine, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1½ cups milk
1. Mix ½ cup flour, 1 tsp. salt, the poultry seasoning and pepper.
2. Coat chicken pieces with the mixture.
3. Brown on all sides in ¼ cup of the butter, in a large skillet.
4. Arrange chicken in a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
5. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
6. Remove chicken. If desired, make gravy in pan, using the drippings. Pour off into saucepan and keep warm.
7. Put chicken back in baking pan.
8. In an electric mixer, beat together remaining flour, salt, baking powder, eggs and milk. Add remaining butter, melted. Beat until smooth.
9. Pour over chicken. Bake at 350 for another 45 minutes.
Serve with the gravy, if used.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Browning time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Makes 4 servings
File#R036 D1 – C4