Chocolate Praline Layer Cake
¼ cup whipping cream
½ cup butter (no substitutes)
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup HERSHEY’s Cocoa (no substitutes)
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup boiling water
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1¾ cups whipping cream
¼ cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
16 whole pecans
16 chocolate curls
1. Heat oven to 350. Generously grease and lightly flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
2. In a small heavy saucepan, combine butter, ¼ cup whipping cream and brown sugar. Cook over low heat just until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Pour into prepared cake pans and sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.
3. In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Beat another 2 minutes.
4. Very carefully spoon cake mixture over pecan mixture in prepared cake pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from cake pans and allow to cool completely. At least one hour.
5. In a small bowl, beat 1¾ cups whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form.
6. To assemble cake, place one layer on serving plate with praline side up. Spread with half of the whipped cream. Top with second layer, praline side up, and spread with remainder of whipped cream. Garnish with whole pecans and chocolate curls. Store in refrigerator.
File #R063 D 2 - C 10