Raspberry Mega Scones
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter (chilled and cut into ¼- inch cubes)
¾ cup granulated sugar
1¼ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
zest of one lemon
2/3 cup of raspberry preserves
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
zest of one lemon
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut the butter into the four mixture until it resembles small pebbles. Add in sugar. Then add the heavy cream, vanilla, and lemon zest. Mix until dough just comes together – don’t over mix, but if the batter seems too dry, just add a little more cream (a little bit at a time).
3. Turn onto a floured piece of parchment paper….divide into two equal sized pieces of dough, and set one aside. Take the first piece of dough and roll out into a 9 x 9-inch square, ½ inch thick. You want to keep the dough from sticking to the paper if possible, so sprinkle with a little more flour if needed.
4. Slather the slab of dough with the preserves and fold the left side of the dough in toward the center. To keep the dough from breaking or falling apart, fold it in by folding the parchment paper and then peeling back the paper afterwards. Fold the other side in towards the center, using the same technique. Slide onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this procedure with the other piece of dough. Leave just a few inches between the two scones so they don’t bake into
each other. Brush with a bit of cream and bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden.
5. While the scones are baking, prepare the glaze. Combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a small bowl. Stir until well combined, and set aside. When the scones come out of the oven, brush them generously with the glaze and let cool. Slice into pieces as big or as small as you like.
NOTE: You may use any kind of preserves…..blackberry is also excellent.
File #R197 D4 C8