APPLE UPSIDE-DOWN COFFEE CAKE
3 medium Golden Delicious Apples
1/3 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Generously grease and lightly flour 9-inch tube pan
3. Core and slice one apple.
4. Arrange slices in bottom of pan
5. Pare, core and finely chop remaining apples to measure 1½ cups.
6. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, lemon juice and grated lemon rind. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and then add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in chopped apples.
7. Spoon batter over apple slices in pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
8. Cool in pan 15 to 20 minutes. Turn onto serving plate. Serve warm or cooled. Makes about 8 servings.
File#R075 D 2 – C 8